Yoga for Self-Regulation and Trauma - 2017
for yoga teachers, educators, and anyone working with those with trauma
with Hala Khouri, M.A., E-RYT, SEP
5 (five) 75min sessions
The goal of a trauma-informed yoga practice is to build resiliency and establish greater self-regulation. It is about feeling safe and at-home in our bodies so that we can feel stable, have good self-esteem, and healthy relationships. Anxiety, depression, behavioral issues, relationship stress, and health issues are often the result of unresolved trauma. A trauma-informed yoga practice is sensitive to the needs of a participant with trauma symptoms and offers them tools to feel safe, empowered, and self-regulated.
This training is for yoga teachers who would like to work with individuals or communities with trauma. It is also for clinicians, social workers, medical personnel, or anyone else who would like to integrate basic yoga tools into their work to support greater health and well-being.
If you are a registered yoga teacher, this course provides 6 hours of CE for Yoga Alliance.
Session 1: Mind-Body Connection
• What is the mind-body connection?
• Brief overview of developmental psychology and why children are vulnerable to trauma
• Trauma and resilience
Session 2: Trauma Basics
• Overview of the stress response
• Triune Brain Model
• The impact of trauma on the ability to self-regulate
• Recognizing trauma symptoms
Session 3: Tools for Self-Regulation and Managing Trauma Symptoms
• Tools for addressing trauma: grounding, centering, resourcing
• Incorporating tools into a yoga class; language DO’s and DON’T’s for teachers
• Sequencing, class structure, adjustments
• Additional tools: mirroring, active listening, empathy
Session 4: Self-Reflections
• Working with our own trauma
• Transference, countertransference
• Dealing with personal triggers
• Trauma stewardship: tools for self care
Session 5: For Educators, Clinicians, and Anyone Wanting to Get Yoga into a Facility
• Tools for educators, parents, administrators
• How to talk about yoga in a way that people can hear: language for pitching yoga programs in schools, correctional facilities, community centers, etc.
$210 | Supporter Rate (supports others as well as yourself)
$170 | Sustainer Rate (pays for you)
$125* |Community Rate (discounted)
*if this is not affordable for you, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about a lower payment
Optional, Additional Course Material:
$20 | E-manual
This 80pg manual includes lecture material and yoga curriculum for youth and is recommended for those interested in having a curriculum and guidance in leading a class. The manual correlates with the lectures & material in the telecourse, but it isn't necessary to purchase this and also register for the course. You can purchase the e-manual on its own.