Leadership Training Intensive Retreat
...for those interested in community engagement grounded in a framework of social justice and liberation*
Take your yoga practice and community-building intentions to another level through this intensive exploration of effective social justice activism grounded in compassion practice. Together we will dig deep into the real impacts of injustice and inequality in our communities and larger world and grow our skills in being agents of social change and justice. Through mindfulness meditation and daily yoga practice we will build a foundation for opening our hearts to the pain of injustice, healing ourselves and our communities from the trauma of oppression, and fostering the resilience we need to stay in the struggle over a lifetime.
This weekend retreat facilitates a holistic integration of mind/body/spirit with our intentions to be a participant in addressing inequality and injustice. We will invite participants to engage in an exploration of social justice concepts in a practical and embodied way, as we feel this work is vital for anyone doing community engagement work!
This training intensive will explore:
- the tension between the spiritual truth that 'we are all one' and the differences and disparities that exist between us
- the root factors contributing to inequality and injustice and how they show up in our own lives and communities
- how to stay present and effective in the face of suffering and injustice
- how power, privilege, trauma, and oppression operate in us personally and how the identities and experiences we hold position us to be of service in different ways in dismantling systemic oppressions
- the skills and practices that can allow us to connect across lines of differences in terms of race, class, gender, ability, body type, size, sexuality, and more
- the role of compassion and compassion practices in building resilience in ourselves and in our communities, and how this resilience can create accountable, grounded responses to injustice